Monday, February 9, 2015

Remember and Verify for all types of #Coaching

Some thoughts I've collected over the last year - some completely my own, some inspired by reading, and probably some that have been floating out there for awhile with coaches I know but resonate strongly with me. 


It is always about the other person

Do I want this or my customer?
Am I thinking about my customer or me?
Am I listening to understand and empathize or to appear engaged?

Feelings matter, many times more than logic

What feelings and emotions are explicitly in play or lurking just under the surface?

Fear must be acknowledged and accepted

Fear is not a productive motivator and can only be released when it is acknowledged and surfaced.

A powerful question is more valuable than an obvious answer

When I don’t know the answer, ask a question.
When I think I have the answer, ask a question.
When I am certain of the answer, ask a question.

People most often start with painful events, not underlying causes.

Many people reflect the visible and painful aspects of a situation, not the underlying systems.

Don’t ever lie.

....ever.
No matter how difficult or painful, the truth is always more valuable than ignorance.

Viewpoints, while valuable and powerful, may and should change.

Point of views that never change indicate close-mindedness, laziness, or ignorance; but having a POV is powerful and useful.

Are my words and actions a service or disservice?

Always serve others and be clear about who is being served (or not) by my words and actions.

Never stop LEARNING.

If I ever think I know it all, I will be of no value to anyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment